The mission of the Literacy+1 youth program is to provide a safe environment where students can engage in structured STEM based learning and stimulating activities that encourage physical activity and positive self-image.
Literacy + 1 is a year-round After-School and Summer Program. The Literacy + 1 program is held at CAC’s Learning Center at 1443 E. Genesee. Both programs offers:
- Computer-based and tutor-assisted instruction in reading using Lexia and ReadTheory and math using Khan Academy.
- Science instruction using hands-on science experiments.
- Nutrition Education & Physical Activities
In addition, the After-School program also offers:
- Homework Assistance under the guidance of a qualified Education Instructor
The Summer Program also offers:
- Experience planting and harvesting fresh vegetables.
- Opportunity to expand financial knowledge through our Economic Empowerment program. Students will have the opportunity to visit such places as banks, credit unions and private businesses where they will learn how to earn and save money.
- Students will learn various ways to incorporate healthy eating and physical fitness into their daily routines.
- Students will learn about positive self-image and good decision-making through the Literacy+1 knowledge based leadership and mentoring program, addressing issues such as body image, bullying, drugs, sex and other behaviors that are considered reckless and or unsafe.
- Incentive based program for older youth. Students are required to attend leadership and development training. College prep classes as well as participate in community volunteer projects.
- Fun field trips and outdoor exploration.
After-School Hours of operation
Summer Program Hours of operation
Eligibility criteria are:
- Income at, or below, 125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Click to View Dollar Amounts
- Saginaw County Resident
To apply for service, bring:
- Proof of residency (State issued I.D.) for all adults residing in household
- Social Security cards for all household members
- Proof of income for most recent 3 months
- Employment check paystubs
- Child support
- Unemployment statement
- Social Security statement
- Bank Statements ARE NOT accepted
- If you, or anyone in your household, receives food stamps (FAP) benefit, documentation MUST BE provided
|Family Size||Annual income||Monthly Income||Weekly Income|
|Add for each additional household member||$5,225||$435||$100|
Need further information or assistance?
Give us a call at 989-753-7741 ext. 227